Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Lays Southern Biscuits and Gravy, New York Reuben, Greektown Gyro and West Coast Truffle Fries potato chips!

Well Lays decided to make their "VOTE TO SAVE YOUR FAVE" promotion an annual thing, and I have to say, BRAVO! Who doesn't love trying out limited edition weird chips and hoping that the one they like the most might stay around forever? It's a fun game! We had a blast with it last year so when we heard it was happening again, we were all in! This time around they rounded up some pretty intense and different new flavors. There's Southern Biscuits and Gravy, New York Reuben, Greentown Gyro and West Coast Truffle Fries! All have the potential to be awesome just as much as they have potential to be gross. But only one will walk away the winner. WHICH WILL IT BE?! Let's dig in and find out! 


First up is the one I'm least excited about. Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro! Now you'll notice that the chips are different from bag to bag not in just flavor, but also chip style. Keep that in mind as we go through here. I think usually I enjoy kettle style chips the most. But these? These are pretty darn weird.  I'm not a guy who gets a gyro very often(ever). But I know what one tastes like. I right off the bat I think they did a pretty good job hitting the flavor. You definitely get the freshness of the veggies and that familiar Greek tang right off the bat.  That tang must be the Tzatziki sauce. A creamy, cucumber flavor that is quite interesting. 


They are pretty covered in flavor dust, just how we like them, and the kettle chips give you that satisfying crunch. But I found I quickly had my fill of these. I couldn't take down the bag. The flavoring from them is intense and after a couple handfuls my taste buds were tapping out.


 But don't get me wrong. These aren't bad at all! They are actually pretty good and a really interesting flavor. They taste really fresh! If you're a fan of Greek stuff, check these out!



Next up, New York Reuben! In my old age I've finally come around to trying a Reuben. I've always been kinda grossed out by them but on the day I finally had one, I was blown away. It was TREMENDOUS. From a local establishment in Rochester, NH called The Garage.  Everything about it was fantastic. Now other times since then when I've tried them, some haven't been great. But all in all, I'm a fan of the Reuben. Hoping these don't just taste like Thousand Island dressing!


Well...they pretty much taste like Thousand Island dressing. BUT. There does seem to be a sour kraut taste there too. Subtle but it's there hiding in the background. These chips are okay! I enjoy the flavor, even though I was hoping for something a bit more adventurous out of these, but let's face it. Anytime they try to make a meat flavor in chips, it either tastes like smoke or bologna. Nobody wants that.


These chips also win the award for most boring to look at. Plain old slightly orange covered chips? PLEASE. If you're a Reuben fan, scoop up a bag just to try them, but don't expect them to become your new favorite chip, as much as you want them to be.


Next up, West Coast Truffle Fries! Now, as someone who recently moved to the West Coast, I can definitely tell you that I spy Truffle Fries on a lot of menus out here and have tried them a bunch of times. Most of the time I order a burger and it comes with fries and the waiter will say, "OH, Would you like your fries to be Truffle Fries?!" And their excitement talks me into it. But they are good, I can't deny it. Lays really nailed the flavor on these. Not only that, but they used wavy chips so they stand out from the other three a lot, especially with their green coloring.



Who would have thought that the flavor of Parmesan cheese, garlic and oil made from fungus would taste so good! Every bite of these weird green chips blast your mouth with truffle fry goodness. Haven't had truffle fries? Who cares. Still grab a bag of these and try them out. Seriously. 



Next up, Southern Biscuits and Gravy! I'll tell you what. This one I imagined probably being the best of the bunch. I'm a big biscuit fan. If I have the option of putting anything on a biscuit, you'd best believe it's going to happen. I've been weird about the sausage gravy they put on them, until a couple years ago. Now I'm down with it. But could Lays capture that flavor?


They certainly didn't smell great. But hey, we aren't here to smell stuff. We're here to taste them...


And taste them I did! These chips are fantastic. They absolutely taste like biscuits and gravy. Now, if you're not familiar with that, I can also put it to you like this: These chips taste like a really creamy, tangy ranch, that has a slight black pepper burn. Especially if you eat half the bag in one sitting, which I did. 


 I'll be honest with you, these chips are the clear winner in my book. Sure I enjoyed the Truffle Fries a lot and the Reuben aren't terrible. Even the Greektown Gyro were really interesting. But these? These are on another level.  These should be the winner. Fatguyfoodblog officially endorses Southern Biscuits and Gravy as the winner of the Lays "DO US A FLAVOR" contest.
Let's see if America agrees!

Here's your wrap up:
Greektown Gyro: Interesting flavor. Very Greek. Pretty good! B

New York Reuben: Sadly, the worst of the bunch. A week Thousand Island dressing flavor mixed with sauerkraut. Not terrible, just not remarkable. C-

West Coast Truffle Fries: Nailed the flavor. Strong garlic flavor. Giving them a B+!

Southern Biscuits and Gravy: You can't go wrong. These chips are spectacular. If you're into biscuits in gravy. If not...step up your game, bro! A! Would have been an A+ if they were on thicker chips!

Make sure after you try them, that you go vote for your favorite here: https://www.dousaflavor.com/ . EVERY VOTE COUNTS! This isn't politics, so it's actually worth voting! And you can do it from the comfort of your home computer, tablet or hell, even your phone! DO IT.



As always, feel free to drop us a line if you'd like us to review something you saw out there in the wild. Or if you're a company who wants us to take a look at your product. Or...if you just want to email us pictures of kittens and puppies. Or some wild burger you created after polishing off a few beers and getting weird. We love emails! Send them to: fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com . But the fun doesn't stop there. Hit us up on Twitter and Like our Facebook page for tons of fun stuff and the occasional giveaway!



5 comments:

  1. I've seen all these flavors in the store and resisted them, but you've talked me into it -- I'm going to try the Biscuit & Gravy flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've usually always agreed with you, we are like soulmates Fat Guys but on today i voted for the West Coast Truffle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey don't get me wrong, those are damn good too! haha.

      Delete
  3. The only I've tried was the Truffle Fries. Those were freaking amazing. Because of your review I'm almost tempted to get the Biscuit and Gravy flavor next time.

    ReplyDelete